Every individual in the world undergoes life experiences that can thrust one into a whirlwind of depression, because all in life is not fair, and people tend to notice that. Every individual undergoes stressful or painful situations, and that in conjunction with one’s inner mindset can be the birthplace of depression.
With depression comes the desire to self harm and sometimes, even suicide. However, every individual needs to know that life is a special gift, and ending it will only increase the pain, not end it.
The world is intricately connected on a plane of hearts, like a lace netting that balances on its fragile threads the entire universe. Every individual is a portion of the fabric, and cutting through even one spot creates a hole that results in loss of a very special part of this world.
The levels of suicide are actually quite alarming. According to the references listed below, in the state of Texas alone, there is a death by suicide every three hours, which makes 8 unnecessary losses of life a day, and, doing the math, about 2,920 suicides in Texas alone annually. This number is alarmingly high, considering it only covers a fraction of the area on Earth that humans occupy. This number is more than double the rates of deaths by homicide, which only goes on to prove that the greatest threat to our lives just may be ourselves.
Image from data.whicdn.com.
As the sources say, every year there are over 38,000 individuals in America that lose their life to their own hands, and this loss is heaviest during springtime, the time of rebirth. This amounts to one death about every 16 minutes, which is alarming. Suicide falls in the top three leading causes of deaths for 15 to 35 year olds.
As noted earlier, people are interconnected, and loved ones are rendered the victims left behind. A minimum of six individuals are usually affected by the loss of a loved one.
Additionally, only about 4% of suicide attempts are actually successful. Of the other 96%, there can be life-threatening or painful, often permanent effects that deeply reduce the quality of life and harm the person. For instance, asphyxiation can result in permanent brain damage, which can cause disabilities or mental retardation, among other things. Excessive cutting can cause blood clots to float around in one’s bloodstream, and it could simply be a matter of time before it clogs a capillary and results in harmful consequences.
Image from hips.hearstapps.com.
It is also found that over 1/2 of the suicides in America are done through the usage of firearms. This is, in part, to be blamed on the fact that firearms are so readily available. By preaching the second amendment on the Bill of Rights, which outlines the right to bear arms, even minors are able to obtain a gun and learn how to shoot it. This is also a leading cause for the number of school shootings that are currently taking place in America. However, as seen by the research, many of the firearms’ barrels are pointed at the forehead of its owner, and the very finger that gives life to the bullet is the one that loses its own.
Difficulties come to all, but as they say, life goes on, and we should, too. There is only one direction- forward. Depression is a trap, an endless cycle from which escape is difficult and requires the utmost support and determination. Just like anything else, stepping out of negativity into the light in this world takes baby steps, but even one step in the right direction is a huge improvement and is very much encouraged. Suicide, self harm, and depression rates are at an all time high, and these rates give good reason for mass concern, especially as much of the depression is caused due to loneliness experienced, in part due to the rise of technology, post-Industrial revolution. There is always help available, such as suicide hotlines, family, friends, teachers, peers, professional psychologists, and most of all, yourself, for where is a will, there is always, always a way.
Image from http://www.hopetocope.com.
- “11 Facts About Suicide.” DoSomething.org | Volunteer for Social Change, http://www.dosomething.org/us/facts/11-facts-about-suicide.
- “Suicide and Crisis Hotline – North Texas.” Suicide & Crisis Center of North Texas, http://www.sccenter.org/.