Photo by Pexels.com
Taking tests, especially standardized tests, can often be one of the most dreaded parts of applying to colleges and being a high school student. There are seniors and juniors who retake their ACT or SAT continually, and there are high school students from every grade who worry about their AP tests and their respective scores.
So, of course, there are countless articles about what to do before a standardized test: test prep, what to pack, what to eat, rules and regulations, and so on. However, it is also important to finish the test and to continue the day well.
Therefore, here is a list of what to do after taking a standardized test (or any test, for that matter).
- Take a nap. Personally, I have not done this yet–I have had vocal performances after each standardized test that I have taken so far. However, if I did not have such engagements, I would definitely prioritize my sleep and my rest.
- Eat (and drink) something. After using one’s brain for so long, getting hungry is normal. Eating something light, like a banana, or even eating a full-course meal will help to restore one’s energy levels.
- Spend time with your family and friends. Find something enjoyable to do: watch a TV show, talk over the phone, go shopping, or play a game of soccer together. Anything that helps you to get your mind off of the test is a good choice.
- Finish your homework (if you can). After all, we are all students, and homework is not going to wait for us.
- Journal. Pour out your stress, worries, anxiety, and fear into your journal first, so that they are out of the way. Then, write down positive words–your mood will soon become much brighter!
- Listen to music. Drowning out your stress (or simply the test questions that were too hard) is truly important. Listening to music is a great way to forget about the test and to feel more relaxed and comfortable.
- Take a bath (or a shower). If the testing center was too cold, the bath will feel so warm and soothing. If the testing center had a broken air conditioner (like mine did), then a cold shower will take all of the stickiness and sweat away.