It is the beginning of a new school year, but for many, it may be their last. If you are becoming a senior, then congratulations! You are almost done with high school and are about to enter a new stage in your life where you choose what you want to do. Many say that senior year is the best year of high school, but be careful. There is something you have to watch out for in your senior year: senioritis.
Senioritis is typically defined as a phenomenon that occurs during senior year of high school. It is usually characterized by a general apathy displayed by seniors. Their grades start slipping, assignments aren’t completed, they are constantly absent, and many other acts that show a lack of care for someone’s schooling. While it may be tempting to slack off during your final year of high school, you cannot allow yourself to do that. Here are the things that you should not do your final year of high school:
1. Skipping School. It may be fun to come into school late just so you can hang out with your friends a bit longer, but what happens when your absences rack up? Your school could hold you from attending senior functions like football games or Prom. Or, even worse, your school could keep you from graduation. That is why it is essential that you attend school. You should only be absent when absolutely necessary, such as when you are sick or if there is an emergency.
2. Procrastinating. Now, many high school students procrastinate. It is a bad habit, but it is extremely detrimental when you get to senior year. Your senior year is going to be busy, what with school, work, volunteering, extracurriculars, and college applications, amongst other things. That is why you cannot procrastinate during this time. You need to plan out your schedule wisely so not only can you get everything you need to do, but you can also enjoy some time for yourself or with friends.
3. Being Unhealthy. Being unhealthy in both mind and body is going to be hard to avoid during your senior year. There are going to be all-nighters, buckets of coffee, and a ton of unhealthy eating habits. Not to mention all the stress that this year is going to cause you, with you getting ready to graduate and go off to college. However, being healthy will help you immensely. Just getting a good nights sleep, eating good food, and exercising can help your body stay healthy, which will overall benefit you and make the days easier. As for your mental health, make sure you take time to relax. If things become too much for you, take a breather. You can read a book, take a warm bath, or talk to someone; just do something that will calm you down.
4. Being Apathetic. One of the biggest parts of Senioritis is that seniors no longer care about school. They think that there is no point in doing work or going to school because they are so close to being done with it anyways. You cannot think like that. Not caring about your attendance or your grades could make the difference between you getting into a college or not, as colleges look at everything, especially your final year of high school. This is why you have to stay motivated. If it is hard to get assignments done, then give yourself little rewards after you complete something so you can stay motivated. Or, if an assignment is feeling like too much to handle, then take breaks and give yourself some time to rest before getting back to work. The point is to remain diligent, because in the end, it will all be worth it.
5. Being Too Serious. Finally, something very important to remember is that this is your senior year of high school! While you should be conscious of your schedule and schoolwork and habits, remember that this is a time of fun as well. This is your last year of high school, so enjoy it. As it was stated before, give yourself some time for you. That could be just staying in and watching movies with your family, or going to a party with your friends. Make sure that you enjoy your senior year of high school, because it is the only one you are going to get.
While it may be easy to slack off or to take things too seriously, just remember to keep these tips in mind. Many people have gone through the same thing that you have, so you can get through your senior year. No matter what happens, you can be confident that it will be a year to remember!